Monday, January 31, 2011

Reflection on Evaluating Websites

Before the assignment on evaluating websites I always knew that it was important to do research on them before they should be used in class, I just did not know how to go about that exactly.  I especially did not realize that there were so many websites with expertise on how to evaluate a website.  I assumed there would just be one correct way to go about it that everyone accepted.  The website that I evaluated was EasyBib.com.  It is a website that I have used for every paper assignment I have had since my senior year of high school.  I have always thought it to be a pretty refutable website, but I never thought of evaluating it to make sure.  Now I am glad that I have evaluated it because it confirmed that it is a very good website indeed.  I was worried that it might not be accepted in certain academic fields, but after evaluating it I see that it is a good reference point.  I learned a lot from evaluating websites, and it is something I will definitely use in my classroom.  For most of my career as a student I have just used any website I could find that had the information I needed and wanted.  Instead, I want my students to use websites that are respected in the learning community.  I doubt I will make my students evaluate every single website they want to use for class (that would be tedious) but it is something I would definitely make them do when they are working on a major project or are wanting to use a new website.

No comments:

Post a Comment