Thursday, February 10, 2011

WebQuests!

My experience with WebQuests so far has been very mixed.  There are certain aspects of it that I think could be very useful in my classroom, but other parts just seem like they would give me a headache.  I like the fact that they get students thinking and using technology.  To do a WebQuest (at least one I would choose for my classroom) would require the students to think critically.  Most of the WebQuests I saw also required them to use technology beyond just being on the website (like the one that required students to create Facebook pages for all the characters of Romeo and Juliet...hilarious).

I am a little cautious though because a WebQuest seems to present the opportunity for students to get very off task, especially if they do not enjoy the WebQuest that we are doing.  It is highly unlikely that there are many WebQuests out there that an entire classroom would all love.  That means that while there are certain students who would love the WebQuest assignment, others would loathe it.  I would just tell them to suck it up and do the work, but the fact that they are on a computer gives them the opportunity to do other things without me knowing about it.

Overall, if there was a WebQuest that my entire class would enjoy I would probably do it.  I am sure they would enjoy doing something interactive and using technology, the key is just to provide one that they would actually get something out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment